Friday, July 6, 2007

Road Trip: Iowa and Nebraska

Well, we're finished with the driving portion of this vacation and are back in Wyoming for a few days before flying back to Seattle. It was an exhausting couple of weeks but so much fun that we're already talking about next year's trip. The last 2 days on the road were spent in Iowa and Nebraska. We had both fun and frustration during this part of the trip.

Iowa: In Iowa we met up with 8Nuts and MotherGoose in Davenport for some waymarking fun and great Iowa grub. I don't think that Hunter will ever stop talking about his barbecue dinner. They found us some great waymarks for categories that we still needed marks in, and even took us to a travel bug hotel so we could exchange some bugs that we had brought along on the trip with us. Unfortunately, after we said good night and went back to our tent a storm rolled in dumping 4 inches of rainfall in 6 hours. In the morning we were dry, but the bottom of our tent was like a water bed because the tent was resting in a 4 inch poll of water. While wading through the site and taking the tent down chiggers feasted on my ankles and I am still itching the 35 bites they took out of me. We had time for a couple more marks and breakfast with 8Nuts and MotherGoose before we hit the road, which made up for the rough night.

Nebraska: Hmm... The last time I was through Nebraska I was 6 years old and all I remember was that it took what seemed liked years to get to the other side. 32 years later it was pretty much the same experience. A gripe I have is that they don't sign their rest areas well at all and I missed all but one of NevaP's great waymarks and caches along the way. They don't even sign the restaurants/services at each exit. It really was a pain.

So, we'll be back in Seattle on Sunday and I'll get Wayward Waymarking updated, my emails caught up, and start in on the enormous task of posting the several hundred waymarks that I've taken and all the caches and travelbugs that we've visited. I look forward to sharing these great spots with the waymarking community. If you've emailed me and haven't received a response, know that I'm not ignoring you. Things will be crazy for the next couple of weeks, but I'll be returning emails soon.

Happy waymarking!

No comments: