Sunday, July 29, 2007

New Category Ideas

Lately I've been itching to start a few new categories. I went through a phase when I first started waymarking when I had tons of ideas and really enjoyed creating categories, but then I burned out on it. I guess everyone probably does that - you start waymarking and have all these cool ideas that you want to turn into categories. Then, I realized it was a lot easier talking other people into creating the group and just joining as an officer. You still get the fun but only have to do half the work. :) Did anyone else go through that category creating phase, or is it just me?

Now I'm getting the itch again. I keep getting ideas and then forget to write them down. I remember two of them, though: "Unintentionally humorous signs" (read the last post) and then "Old theatre marquees/signs". I've wanted to see a theater sign category on the grid for a long time but didn't want to work through all the logistics as to what the requirements would need to be. I'd still be glad to pass the theatre sign idea off to someone else and join as an officer, though. Any takers?

The sign pictured here is from the Balaban and Katz Chicago Theater - a historic theater built in 1921 that can be found in the Chicago Loop. I'll be waymarking it soon in the U.S. National Registered Historic Places, the American Guide, and the Official Tourist Attraction categories.

2 comments:

FamilyTrees said...

Any takers on the old theater sign category idea yet? Great minds must think alike, because as I was going through the category list, I was surprised there wasn't one!

Hikenutty said...

Nope, no takers yet. I think the tough part would be requiring a date. When did they stop making the cool marquees? Another option would be to make the category vintage theater signs - that's my favorite part anyhow, and people would likely submit pics of the buildings too.