Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Proud Waymarking Moments

Have you ever posted a waymark that you're especially proud of? Maybe one in a category that's really difficult to find, like shot towers? Or, best of all, a waymark that is an incredible find for a specific category? For me, these are the moments that get me addicted to waymarking.

It's never been about the numbers or the bingos for me, but instead about these WOW moments during the hunt. Of course, don't get me wrong, I love watching my waymark total grow and it would be great to have a bingo, however, what I love most is finding a great waymark. Sometimes I happen on them by surprise while I'm out looking for another waymark, or sometimes I stumble upon info on the internet, but either way it's pretty cool.

Over the last few weeks I've been having these moments fairly regularly. Vacation can do that for a waymarker because so many of the waymarks are happy surprises in areas that are unknown to us. I was over-the-top excited to be able to waymark not just a Miro and a Chagall, but also a Picasso in my pet category, Abstract Public Sculptures. I love posting any cool art that I stumble upon in this category, but to get to post several famous pieces was pretty exciting. They're just such great editions to the category.

Penny Smashers is a category that is fun, but I hate standing in a gift shop and photographing a machine. It makes me feel like the weird tourist who photographs everything. We smashed over 20 pennies on this trip but only waymarked a few smashers. My favorite was one at Fort Hays, the movie set to "Dances with Wolves" because of how unique it was. They had an old Black Hills Gold gold press and when you paid the guy your money, he would use tweezers and at just the right time guide the penny into the press. It was really cool and I loved posting such a unique waymark to the category.

We also posted a waymark in one of the more difficult categories, Literary Sites. Of course with Sandburg, Dreiser and Sinclair writing in Chicago, there are plenty of sites to be found. Our waymark is of the historic Stockyard Gates in south Chicago for the book "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. I found an amazing passage about the workers waiting for jobs at the gates and used that as the inspiration for the post. For some reason I am always excited to post in categories like this one, the Immortalized in Lyrics category, or the Ansel Adams Photo Hunt. It's so cool to find the spots that inspired these artists. Hey that gives me an idea! We have a category for locations inspiring literature, music and photography. What about one for visual arts? Locations that can be seen in famous works of art. It could be linked to an art database. Okay, now I'm rambling.

So, I'd love to hear your comments on this and learn about some of the waymarks that you're most proud of and why. Happy waymarking!
Oh - the photo above is of the sculpture "Flamingo" by Alexander Calder and was another famous sculpture I was excited to waymark. I've also waymarked his "Eagle" which is located in Seattle.

2 comments:

0ccam said...

I was recently excited by an Engineering Landmark that I wasn't expecting: The Disneyland Monorail.
But I got it.

Another thing that pleased me no end was a simple survey mark--near the Painted Desert Inn in Petrified Forest Nat'l Park! (not in the gc.com db either, despite the fact that it was placed in 1934.)

Both of those were WOW moments for me.

As far as Penny Smashers...the folks that created that category have spoiled me. Now I'll only smash pre-1982 pennies. And I forgot to take a roll of those...

And talk about touristy...I was there in Disneyland/DCA taking pics of THE GROUND (survey marks) and Clocks and stuff...

And because of Waymarking, I now have a National Parks Passport...with four cancellations!

Hikenutty said...

How funny - when we left on vacation we had a small baggy of pre-1982 pennies so they'd look good when we smashed them. My greatest regret is that I didn't get a second Spam Museum penny - the one with the can of spam on it. Hilarious!

You'll love your NP passport. We're up to 26 stamps now - 6 from this trip. One thing I did was buy an old 1940's National Geographic National Parks map off of ebay, mounted it on foam core, and framed it. Now when we go to a new National Park we stick a pin in the map. It's been fun to see all of the areas we've visited.