Sunday, July 15, 2007

Reviewers: Waymarking Ambassadors

I know that I've talked before about how it irks me when reviewers are rude or they don't explain why something is denied. This post is about the opposite: the positive reviewer and the difference they can make.

Now, as many of you know, I've been posting up a storm following our road trip across the midwest. I've noticed how much I look forward to reading the reviewer's comments. Some of them are pretty funny, others express what they think about the waymark, most are very positive. It still gives a warm-fuzzy to a diehard waymarker like myself to hear someone likes my waymark. I'm not fishing for compliments here, but I'm just trying to point out how much more those comments would mean to a brand new waymarker.

People put a lot into their waymarks, at least most people do, and its nice to know that at least the reviewer took the time to read through and learn about the spot. It feels good to hear, "Wow, what a cool spot. Thanks for posting the waymark." And as a beginner, it helps bring the person into the waymarking community. And not just when a waymark is accepted. I had one denied this week and the reviewer said something like, "This is a really cool waymark, but the category requires a photo of a sign or a picture on a map with the name of the place showing. If you can find something like that please resubmit the waymark." As a reviewer, if someone posts something in the wrong category, I try to point them in the right direction. For example, "This is a great piece, but it isn't really an abstract sculpture. We'd love it if you'd post it in the figurative sculpture category instead." Being postive and helpful is the key.

Think about it. Most likely the first contact a brand new waymarker will have with the waymarking community will be with a reviewer. That makes you reviewers out there ambassadors for the hobby of waymarking. Think of that when you have that list of some 20 new waymarks to review. It's easier to just breeze through and not type any comments, but what a difference your comments can make.

The above picture is of Devil's Slide, in Utah near echo canyon. It was the waymark that I spoke of above (denied, but I resubmitted it.)

No comments: