Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Rainy Days of Summer

Most people know that Western Washington is known for its damp weather. I was born and raised here, and although I don't have the proverbial webbed feet I am well equipped for handling the rain - at least for 9 months of the year. However, I am not able to comprehend how to deal with a week of rain in July, especially after returning from a vacation in the blazing summer sun. It is absolutely ridiculous! Yesterday I had to dig out my rain suit to take my dog to the dog park. I couldn't even remember where it was. Usually I don't have to start looking for it until mid to late September.

Anyhow, Washington's rainy weather is prime waymark posting weather. It sucks to waymark in, but ahhhhh, a steaming hot cup of coffee, a nice warm laptop on your lap, and a backlog of waymarks to post is a great way to avoid the rainy day blues. Of course I feel a bit guilty because Troy is out working on the deck while I'm nice and dry and cozy inside. I'll just try to shut my ears to the hammering sounds and occasional exclamations of @#$% and work on my monster backlog of waymarks.
The above photo is of gorgeous Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park, South Dakota, where we camped while in the Black Hills. It happily reminded me of how summer SHOULD look. The park is waymarked in the American Guide category, and eventually I'll waymark the lake in the category by itself. It's on the aforementioned backlog.


No comments: