Thursday, June 21, 2007

Way-Vacation Countdown: 1 day

We've reached that final, exciting day before the road trip. I likely won't be able to post for a couple of days because we'll be busy in Evanston, Wyoming shopping for supplies and packing up all of the gear that we sent ahead for the road. We'll probably have internet at Devil's Tower, so I'll try to post to the blog from there.

The toughest part of this trip will be leaving our dog Frodo for 2 weeks. I swear, I wasn't even this bad when my son was a baby. It's ridiculous. Shuttle Express picks us up to take us to Sea-Tac Airport at 4:45 am (I know, it's painful) so we'll be taking him to a friend's house tonight at 7. The hardest part will be leaving her house, because he'll give me that hang-dog look that's so pathetic and then give a little whimper. He works that look - uses it daily at the dog park as he makes the rounds trying to get treats from everyone.

I find though that waymarking is not as dog-friendly of a hobby as geocaching is. Most dogs don't like crowds and urban areas and there's a lot more of that in waymarking. With geocaching (at least the caches we like to find) dogs get to run through the woods and play with wild abandon. So, as much as I would like to bring Frodo along, I couldn't subject him to a plane ride and all the hours in cars and cities. He'll be much happier running around with my friend's dogs and getting to see his pals at the dog park a few times. In fact I'll probably go to pick him up when we get back and he'll look at me like, "do I know you from somewhere?"
Bye for now. Next time I write it will likely be from someplace in cowboy-land.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Have a great vacation HikeNutty! We'll be waiting in anticipation to see all your new waymarks when you return.

Travel Safely
TGF