Sunday, June 10, 2007

Reviewer Rigidity revisited

Back in April you may remember one of my weekly rants where I discussed how rigid some categories are about silly GPS requirements. My complaint was that the GPS is a proof of visit tool and if you could otherwise prove you were present, then that proof should be accepted. I used for an example a waymark that I had submitted to the "Octagon Buildings" category for a historic barn in Oregon that I visited during my younger sister's wedding. No matter what proof I could give, the leader would not accept the waymark due to the lack of a photo with a gps in the shot. "If I start now," he reasoned "then it wouldn't be fair to people who were denied in the past who had alternate proof." I was extremely disappointed because I had been excited to be able to waymark the barn using photos I had taken at the wedding. Irritated, by the category's silly requirements I popped that baby onto my ignore list. No more octagons for this girl!

Flash forward to this week. I was browsing through newly approved waymarks when I happened on a few octagonal buildings in the U.K. that had been posted. I clicked on their galleries and noticed that two of them didn't have gps photos! "Oh those poor people," I thought. They were going to have to go through the accept-deny-resubmit-reaccept-redeny process that I went through. I thought of warning them what they might be in for, but decided to mind my own business and hope that the leader wouldn't catch it. Just in case things had changed, I figured that I'd check the category, and low and behold, there was a new leader! My old pal Silverquill was now leading the category and he had changed the requirements so that gps photos are no longer required. Hallelujah! In fact, he's now leading the "zoos" category and has removed the gps photo requirement from that category also.

So today I dug back through my photos and have resubmitted the Cornelius Pass Octagonal Barn waymark. It will be its third submission and I'm hoping that "third time's a charm." At this blog posting it has not yet been approved, but I'm crossing my fingers that by the time you read this and click on the waymark link it will be there for you to see, 10 months after I originally submitted the waymark.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like it's up and approved now. Good to see some of these requirements are being changed! I completely agree with you, for visiting a Waymark, I understand the GPS shot, for posting one, it just doesn't make sense.