Friday, June 15, 2007

Oddball Museums

The blog's featured waymark this week, Mutter Museum, is a museum focusing on odd medical rarities. It's waymarked in the oddball museum category and it got me thinking about a few of the odd museum's that I've happened upon while researching waymarks for our road trip. We likely will only stop at a couple of these, but here are a few that we came across: the Squirrel Cage Jail Museum (a wheel of jail cells that circles with a hand crank), the National Museum of Roller Skates, Hormel's Museum of Spam with its "World's Largest Wall of Spam" (for those of you who've never been subjected to the horror of eating or looking at Spam - it's a chopped and formed pork (supposedly) product cushioned in a gelatinous ooze and packed in a can - UGH!), and a barbed wire museum which also sports the world's largest plow, I believe. It never ceases to amaze me that any item, no matter how mundane, will be loved enough by some person to have its own museum.

In the past I used to poke fun at the people who are obsessed enough with something that they could create a whole museum to it. Of course, that was before I started a whole Website and a blog dedicated to the hobby of waymarking. I can no longer point fingers. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's with some embarrassment that I must admit that I like Spam. As a kid we would have fried Spam sandwiches sometimes, and my grandmother would often make Mac & Cheese with little bits of Spam in it. mmmmmmmmmm, good stuff!

One oddball museum that I have on my backlog is the Popcorn Museum in Marion, OH. They claim to have the world's largest collection of popcorn machines there. Mostly like you might see at a carnival or festival...a few of them are antique horse drawn wagons, as well as a few early 1900's automobiles. They also have a horse which previously belonged to Napoleon, now stuff and mounted, in the museum. Marion has held popcorn as their claim to fame for many many years, as there are a couple of popcorn manufacturers in town. Wyandot Popcorn makes Cracker Jack that we all know and love, and ConAgra is there which makes ACT II microwave popcorn. The weekend after labor day they always hold the Popcorn Festival. In years past all of the floats in the parade would be made of popcorn, and many vendors sold various popcorn related concoctions. In recent years that tradition has faded, but it's still a good time for the locals.

Hikenutty said...

Mr. O!!! Not you! Well, if you go to the Spam Museum website they have a whole section of Spam recipes. Spam kabobs, anyone? When we went to Hawaii a couple of years ago the stuff was everywhere - spamburgers and spam omelettes and spam with poi (just kidding on that last one). I guess it's an island favorite so your not alone.

Now a popcorn museum and festival sounds good to me. I love popcorn! Did the museum have a big collection of Cracker Jack toys? Remember when they put real toys in the box instead of just stickers and wash off tattoos? Actually, that's probably before your time, Mr. O. I'll have to watch for the waymark.