Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Peer Review Peeve


Okay, it's time for my midweek rant. I recently had a category that I created go through peer review. For those of you who are new to this - If a person wants to create a new waymarking category, they first have to form a group of officers to review the posted waymarks, and then after the category is written it is sent out to the waymarking community for a vote. Waymarkers vote yea, nea or abstain, and also post CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

I have no problem with the process. In fact, I love the process. If a category isn't clear, or doesn't meet the websites criteria and fails peer review, the creator comes out of it with a batch of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM that they can use to tweak the category.

My problem is with the few waymarkers who leave comments like "No wow factor", "Blah", "Redundant"... There is one guy who always writes "No wow factor" when they vote "nea" and I grind my teeth every time I read it in a review. I'm fine that the person doesn't find it interesting. There are many categories that I actually can't stand, however, that doesn't mean the category doesn't have merit to a large group of the waymarking community. But why oh why don't they add some suggestions as to what they think would be more interesting! What about the new guy who might not fully understand the process? Be nice, be helpful. That's all I'm asking. Argggggghhhh. I know it will never change, but it feels good to bitch.


My category that just passed peer review was "Master Architects - The International Style". I used some of the criticism I received to rework it a bit and now it's even better. In fact it had its first waymark posted today by Saopaulo1 - a highrise apartment building by Oscar Niemeyer in Sao Paulo, Brazil. That's his (Saopaulo's) picture of it at the beginning of the post. Back in a few days to talk at you some more :)

PS: Thanks to the blog readers who have contacted me and been so nice about the blog. I'm glad you like it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't yet submitted a category, but I see this being a relatively common theme in the forums. There have been past categories come up for peer review that I've thought weren't all that impressive (not talking about this specific category), however that's just my own opinion on the "wow" factor. I realize that my opinion may not be the same as others', and they've all had more "wow" than some of the "chain store/restaurant/etc" categories, so I voted "yea" and didn't comment. As you mentioned, it's for constructive criticism, not personal bias and opinion.

I'm considering putting a group together, and proposing a category, so I'm sure I'll get to share in this frustration before too long. :)

Hikenutty said...

Hi Mr. O,
I check the newly posted waymarks each day and have noticed several good ones coming through with your name on them.

Category proposal is not for the weak of heart. :) But it sure is fun. I look forward to seeing your new category proposal in the forums. Thanks for your blog comment. Hope you'll be back!