Sunday, March 11, 2007

Embracing the Inner Geek

Well, it's official now. Everyone that reads the Tacoma News Tribune will soon be alerted to my true state of geekiness. On Saturday morning Troy, my husband, and I went waymarking with a TNT photographer. She followed us around for about an hour as we waymarked several historic buildings and a community garden. In this picture we're at Fire House No. 1, which is on the U.S. Register of Historic Places. Troy is being photographed taking a waymark and you can see by his expression that he's not yet buying my "embrace your inner geek" stance.

I thought that wandering around with a photographer taking pictures of me waymarking would be embarrassing. Actually though, I felt like it made me seem a little less weird. I mean, if you're on your own and you climb up a wall to take a picture of a weed-filled community pea patch, people start to wonder if they should cross to the other side of the street. But if someone with a giant camera is taking a picture of you taking a picture of weeds and dirt, well, people are going to assume that your doing something legitimate. Either way though, I didn't have to worry as it seems that citizens of Tacoma are all still sleeping at 9:30am on Saturdays.

After we had done a few waymarks the photographer said goodbye and headed off to her next assignment. She had to photograph some new immigrants finally arriving after their relative has worked for something like 5 years to bring them to the country. Great story, but I don't see how it can compete with a spot on waymarking. We'll see. ;)

If you're interested in seeing the waymarks we did with the photographer, here are the links: Neighbors Park Community Garden, Fire Alarm Station, McIlvaine Apartments, and the Fire House link above. I'm guessing the story will be out in the next couple of weeks and I'll post a link to the article when that's available.

No comments: