Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Ignore List - Thoughts from a Waymarking Snob


Last time I commented on lame categories in the forums I was called a nazi elitist and other juicy tidbits so I figure I'll rant here where no one can stop me. :)

Sometimes I think that I must have the longest ignore list on the waymarking.com website. I LOVE the ignore list feature. Right now my list is at 5 pages and growing weekly. In fact, this weekend was an "ignore list" weekend where I found myself waymarking spots so I could knock specific categories off onto my ignore list where I don't have to see them. Some of the categories are on the ignore list because I'm just not interested in them. They're fine categories that I'm sure some people love, but they just aren't categories that I really care about. However, many categories are on there because I find them useless, unnecessary, and a black eye to the hobby of waymarking.

Waymarking can be divided in many ways but most people consider it to be split along two lines: the useful categories(restaurant locations, businesses, etc.) and the interesting (historic spots, odd places, etc.) I'd like to add a third section to this waymarking taxonomy: the lame categories. Why, oh why, does anyone need to know how to find a McDonalds, Burger King, Walmart or even Starbucks, for that matter?! Here, I'll explain how you find one - drive down a freeway - take an exit off the freeway. There, you've found the aforementioned spots. I joined the Starbucks group for awhile because, I'll admit, I frequent the establishment. However, after awhile I felt the same way about it as I did about the fast food chain categories. It isn't a useful category. There are much easier and more thorough ways to find those McNuggets you crave. Try the yellowpages.com or calling information on your cell phone.

I'm not forcing my opinion of what is useful and interesting on anyone. I love Starbucks, but don't find the waymarking of them necessary. Maybe as wifi hotspots - that's useful - but not as a Starbuck's location. I just don't want waymarking.com to be thought of as an incomplete yellowpages website. Let's waymark the historic, interesting, unique, quirky or downright weird spots on this globe. Now that's useful.

Okay, I know there are a few of you dying to argue this point and call me names again, so BRING IT ON! I can take it.

2 comments:

Mangrove Tom said...

Aha! I think the ignore list is a feature I must start using frequently, since I totally agree that there's no purpose in adding a waymark for something easily queried on Google Maps.

thanks!

Hikenutty said...

Glad I could introduce another waymarker to this AWESOME feature. :)