Monday, March 5, 2007

Cemeteries and Toxic Waste


So this last weekend found me waymarking in toxic waste and a cemetery. A little depressing for a weekend jaunt, but hey, a waymarker's got to do what a waymarker's got to do. I'm not going to make toxic waymarking a habit though, as I don't own any tyvek clothing.

The cemetery we visited was a pet cemetery in Kent, Washington. When I read about this place I figured it was some yahoo with some extra property, looking to make some money. Turns out that the place was for real. It was started in 1948 and was filled with granite markers, some quite ornate, and pictures of favorite pets. Frodo the waypup yowled his grief from the CRV (actually he just wanted to get out and pee on a headstone, but the grief sounds better.) I left pondering yet again why a cat gets to live 20 years, but a dog only 10. So unfair.

My husband actually joined me in this caper and I think he is getting interested in waymarking. I suppose waymarking at a superfund site isn't exactly the way to win over geocachers, though. Next weekend I'll have to find a category to hunt for that he might enjoy. Pizzerias? Nude beaches? Hmm... X that last one.

All in all it was a very fruitful week with postings in 8 new categories: Neon Lights, Wendy's, Dive Sites, Piers, Outdoor Rec Stores, Superfund Sites, Funny Mailboxes and Pet Cemeteries.

3 comments:

GEO*Trailblazer 1 said...

Hey I thought I would leave a note so you knew I was really here.
Great site keep up the Waymarking.

Hikenutty said...

Hey, geo, I tried to get onto your blog, but I'm not a myspace member (I know, only person left in America) and it wouldn't let me see it. Bummer.

AF said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog (rpibcon.blogspot.com), Hikenutty. I am totally new to Waymarking, and fairly new to blogging, so, when I have some time to explore the Waymarking world, I'd love to have the opportunity to bounce questions off you. I am most interested in its use to promote interest in historic resources and possible heritage tourism applications. Thanks again; I look forward to reading more of your blog.