Saturday, June 21, 2008

Frickin' Toynbee Tiles

Okay, we are still in D.C. but I thought I had to quickly vent before I start packing up for the flight home. Over our 5 days in D.C. I have visited about 8 different spots where there are SUPPOSEDLY Toynbee tiles. Nothing.

I even emailed several waymarking friends, begging for tips and they sent me a link to a page that gave the street corners of 2 tiles that were spotted in 2006. We visited those today and they had been recently paved so the tiles were gone. I bitched and moaned about it, but then Bruce said that a pain in the ass category is better than a super common category anyday, and it put things in perspective. It was a lot more fun finding and waymarking a Native American trail tree today than waymarking the Dunkin' Frickin' Donuts shop that I had to waymark for an icon (there aren't any Dunkin' Frickin' Donut shops in Washington.)

Hope you all are having a safe and fun summer. Happy waymarking!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first waymark I ever went looking for was a Toynbee tile. It was listed as being at the intersection of two streets that happen not to actually intersect. I ended up asking a mail carrier, who pointed me to a tile two blocks over. Thus my visit turned out to be a post. Moral: ask a postal worker, they know everything.

Anonymous said...

Ah the infamous Toynbee tiles. I also have yet to find one, but I hope to on my next trip to Cleveland this summer. My fear is that I will run into the same problem you are having in that they won't be there anymore. Or that someone will get there before me now that I'm mentioning this.

We actually have an impostor tiler here in Buffalo now, but they're not putting down Toynbee tiles. They are House of Hades tiles. Identical materials and construction methods, but unfortunately unwaymarkable.

Good luck with your search HN!

Hikenutty said...

So does anyone know who it is who places these mysterious tiles? Think he could maybe be talked into taking a trip to Seattle and leaving a few behind?

I can't believe that your first waymark was a Toynbee, Paranym! Impressive.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to make my own. Wink, wink. You can waymark mine, if I can waymark yours....

Hikenutty said...

Hey..... there's an idea. We have a ceramics place in town. How tough could it be? ;)

Anonymous said...

From what I read, they are not ceramic, but made from linoleum floor tiles and asphalt crack sealer. That way they conform and bond easier to the road surface and can stand up to traffic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toynbee_tiles I suppose putting one down would also be called littering, graffiti or even vandalism, but that just means they could be cross-posted, right? ;-)

Ceramic wall tiles said...

What are Toynbee Tiles?

Claire x

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.