Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Frickin' State Historic Markers and Burger Chefs and ....

Are you noticing a theme here? Although I was able to grab several categories that are next to impossible to find on the West Coast while on vacation in D.C. I was very frustrated by some of the waymarks that I was trying to find. I mean, do I really want to look for a Dunkin' Donuts while on vacation? I think not.

Of course, I've already bitched about my Toynbee tiles experience, but the State Historic Marker categories were almost as bad. Although I find the markers interesting, I really have no desire to hunt them down. I'm more interested in seeing historic places, not signs about them. Anyhow - I figured that I could take care of the Maryland, Virginia and Delaware categories on this trip and the Virginia one was quite easy. You can't spit in Virginia without hitting a historic marker. But in Maryland we had problems. The signs weren't as prolific and someone had gone through and posted the majority of them. I ended up having to settle with just a visit to a sign that I knew had been waymarked.


In Delaware I staked out a very cool sign that I saw located next to a lighthouse that I wanted to waymark. No one had posted it so I felt safe just having the one waymark to post for that category. I mean, how many waymarkers are going to be in Lewes, Delaware? At least one other it seems. Today when I went to post my waymark I learned that in the interim between when I originally checked the category and today someone else posted it. So for Delaware I ended up with just a visit as well in the SHM category. I would have waymarked backup markers if I had seen any, but there weren't that many markers in this tiny little state.


Other frustrations: checking out 3 different supposed Burger Chef locations to find all of the buildings demolished; checking 3 different Lustron home locations before finally finding one that hadn't been demolished; almost losing my tollhouse waymark; not taking the correct photos and therefore losing my Civil Defense Shelter sign waymark. There were many more, but now I'm just boring you.


My outlook on waymarking has definitely changed. In the past I might have dragged my family around looking for those blasted historic markers, but there's no way in hell I'm going to spend my well deserved vacation waymarking signs when there are endless 17th century buildings, and world class sculpture and incredible architecture to be seen. Although I'm still a grid hound, I'm not so compulsive about it and it has definitely made waymarking more fun for all involved.


The photo above is of the historic Chesapeake & Ohio canal and lock 19, one of 74 along the 185 mile canal. And yes, it was already waymarked along with most of the other remaining locks along the canal. :o/

8 comments:

Mr. 0 said...

I have both a Dunkin Donuts, and a former Burger Chef location nearby. I've never gotten around to Waymarking them. I could do that, send the info, and pics your way. Then you could post them....if the price is right. Heck, I would even throw in an Ohio Historical Marker. :)

You mentioned Lewes, DE. I was actually out there just a couple of years ago (I had also been there several times when I was a kid). I wasn't really into Waymarking at the time. I realize now how many Waymarks I missed in the short time I was there.

Hikenutty said...

Ahh, so you're dealing in waymarks now, eh? :)

So can you waymark places where there was once a Burger Chef but now it's something else? If so I have a Pizza Hut building that I could offer the category. :) And I did get a Dunkin' Donuts when we were in D.C. We used to have those in Washington state but they all went out of business. There are some still listed on yellowpages.com, but they are long gone. People are too busy drinking coffee at Starbucks, I guess.

Mr. 0 said...

My understanding is that yes, one can Waymark spots where there were once Burger Chef's that are now something else. The one here in my town is now a KFC. I asked about it specifically, and they said it would be accepted.

http://portal.groundspeak.com/forums/thread/9659.aspx

Hikenutty said...

My problem is that I think they tore down the Burger Chef and built the Pizza Hut on the same spot. I don't know though because I don't know what a Burger Chef looks like to begin with. I did find the location on the Website that the category gives for finding them - bawdycloister? something like that. Anyhow - it would be great if they took my lowly Pizza Slut.

Mr. 0 said...

You could always try. I would say that if it's on the website the category uses, then you should be good.

I'm not sure that I found the one you're talking about on that list. There was really only one in Washington. It looks like it's a sushi restaurant now. As long as that site doesn't say it was torn down, how would they know?

Hikenutty said...

This one was in Alexandria, I think. I can't remember though - I'd have to check my notes - it was somewhere in the 'burbs. I think I'll try though. I know that Portland, OR has severeal and I will be going down to visit my sister at some point this summer, so I guess I can always grab one there.

Anonymous said...

Did I forget to mention that there's a Michigan Historical Monument about 1 hour NW of DC? Dang, another one you missed. And it's right on the Appalachian Trail, BTW.

0ccam said...

On my recent vacation (first to Austin & back, then to WDW in Orlando, up through Charleston & Columbia, SC; through Savannah and then to see Biltmore; then across to Memphis and later Texarkana then home) I only waymarked when it was convenient (or when I happened to see something that I thought was extra special).

On vacation, I want waymarking to add spice to the vacation. I've been known to take short waymarking trips. That's different. OTOH, posting the waymarks that I collected on vacation gives me a chance to enjoy the Vacation again!