Saturday, June 7, 2008

2K

I don't often pay attention to my numbers but last week I realized that I had hit the big 2K - 2,000 posted waymarks. I had noticed when I was around 1,900 and thought that I should pay attention so I could see what the 2,000th waymark would be and then promptly forgot.

One of the things that I love about waymarking is that it isn't really competitive. Well, it is, but it's more "self-competitive." Lots of people create personal goals or have certain numbers that matter to them - some try to fill the grid, some try to fill in the map, but less people seem to be driven by total waymarks or the "stats" as geocachers are so fond of showcasing.
I'm personally a grid-hound, but I also have a personal goal of reaching 100 waymarks in several of my favorite categories. A long term goal of mine is filling in my profile map as I waymark my way around the U.S. I also come up with weird little mini goals on what seems like a monthly basis. Anyone out there have their own interesting personal waymarking goals they's like to share?

I was hoping that number 2,000 wouldn't be a lame waymark, like a McChain, and I'm happy to say, that I wasn't disappointed. Number 2,000 was a cross-posted waymark into a new favorite category of mine, "Great Buildings of the World." The EMP (Experience Music Project), a controversial building designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry, is located in Seattle next to the Space Needle. In fact the Seattle Center monorail from the 1962 World's Fair passes through a portion of the building. The photo above shows the track as where it enters the building. It's a wild sculptural building the the architect thought of as a "Temple of Rock." The building holds the "Experience Music Project," an interactive rock music museum created by Microsoft co-founder, Paul Allen. There is also the Sci-Fi Museum and Hall of Fame inside.
The next big number for me would be 5,000 but that's a few years down the road. For now I'll just keep myself happy hunting down waymarks for my favorite cats. This coming week we'll be heading for D.C. which should get me a good head start on 5,000. :) Happy waymarking!

No comments: