Friday, November 2, 2007

Beer me

I have sunk to what some folks would call a new low. I have just waymarked my first beer sign in the "Neon Sign" category. Never did I think that I would head down this sad and lonely road, out wandering strip malls, hanging out in front of taverns... It's addiction plain and simple. ;) Two months ago I would have chuckled at the thought of waymarking a beer sign but all that neon gas is going to my brain now. Just like a campfire, the warm glow of the glass tubes are mesmerizing.

I'm sure you waymarkers out there have that special category, that rules your life with an iron fist (you benchmarkers and Texas Historic Marker nuts know who you are.) If you don't, just wait, because you will if you stick around Waymarking for long. So don't start judging me.

You have to admit that beer signs have come a long way from the the typical logo-style signs of yore. In this lounge alone I saw a palm tree, this crab, and a ship. Next time you are driving through suburbia open your eyes a little and look for the glow. Take away a few preconceived notions and you might start to see the art in modern neon advertising. I mean, would it really make this little crustacean better if it read "seafood" instead of "Corona"? Ah, the deep questions that Waymarking makes you stop to ponder.

3 comments:

Wildwoodke said...

It's a dark day (or night) indeed when its time to waymark neon, of the non-artistic variety.

It's a good thing that a renovation and work have kept me from chasing a few neon signs.

Besides there is a certain cateogry owner / Team that has been filling my email with signs a glow and its time to give a few back... :)

BTW they are nice signs as are yours HN and everyone else who has submitted to the category.

KE

Gil said...

I take offense to the Texas Historical Marker nuts comment!

Hikenutty said...

Ah, gil, you know that everything's bigger in Texas - even compulsions. :)

And Kevin, you're lucky that Alberta is too far of a drive for me to head over and grab all of the neon while you are distracted by such frivolous things as providing food and shelter. :) I'll have to settle for British Columbia neon.