Sunday, August 5, 2007

Milestones!

This week team Hikenutty hit 2 great milestones for a waymarker. Thanks to our 2 week road trip and the several hundred waymarks collected along the way we have hit 1,000 waymarks posted this week. The second milestone for us was to waymark 100 waymarks in a single category. We hit 100 this week in the U.S. National Historic Places category.

Now, I know that waymarking isn't just about the numbers, and as many of you know, I've always been a proponent for quality over quantity, but even so - it feels great! :) I'm not a numbers girl and I haven't really been thinking about where my count stood until I was checking out the changes on the profile pages this week. I saw that I was getting close to 1,000 which is not bad, considering my one year waymarking anniversary was in June. Okay, I'm done patting myself on the back now, guys. :)

Still, the biggest charge for me in waymarking is not in how many waymarks I have listed, but in the charge of walking around a corner and being surprised by an extremely cool place/thing just waiting to be waymarked. I look much closer at the world around me and instead of just breezing down the street, I check out the buildings, art and public spaces. That new perspective on the world around me is the most valuable part of the hobby.

The picture above is of the First National Bank in Davenport, Iowa. It was the first National Bank opened under the National Banking Act of 1863, so it truly is the "first" First National Bank. It was my 100th waymark in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places category. My 1000th accepted waymark was a beautiful wave shaped sculpture made of driftwood at the Figge Art Museum, also in Davenport, Iowa.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Congratulations HikeNutty on your awesome achievement!

Hikenutty said...

Thanks, TGF! Now back to my regularly scheduled posting of waymarks. ;)