Friday, August 17, 2007

Heading to the Hills

The road trip threw our usual camping/hiking routine out of whack this summer - typically we try to head into the mountains every other weekend starting in early May, and sometimes even March or April if we have a dry weekend. It's some of my favorite waymarking territory and definitely the place that revives me after a grey winter in the 'burbs.

This weekend we'll finally be heading up into the Cascades for a trip and I'm very excited. The plan is to camp at a Federal campground near Mt. Rainier National Park and then to drive to the top of Chinook Pass to do some hiking on the Pacific Crest Trail. It's the only trail in the National Park that you can take dogs on, so we didn't have many choices of where to go, but it's wildflower season and the sub-alpine meadows should be sublime right now. The crest of Chinook Pass is one of my favorite spots in the Cascade Mountains, full of wildlife, wildflowers and wild landscapes. I waymarked the pass in the American Guide categories and it was one of my favorite waymarks to put together because I have so many memories up there.

I'm hoping to pick up a few categories this weekend - Smokey the Bear, Named Mountain Gaps (we're hiking up to Sourdough Gap), and a few more. I might even have a chance at an Ansel Adams Hunt waymark, but it depends on the weather. It will be refreshing to list a few waymarks in Washington again. I'm still slogging through all of the vacation waymarks from the Midwest.

The photo above is of Tipsoo Lake with Mt. Rainier in the background. The lake is near the top of the Chinook Pass and is a beautiful spot for a day trip. Bring a picnic and stroll around the lake. In early August the meadow will be thick with wildflowers. The lake is next to a CCC built comfort station with tables near the parking area. Stay on the trail - this area is very delicate.

No comments: