Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Way-Vacation

We're getting ready for our road trip through the Midwest and I find it hilarious the level of planning that I'm putting into the waymarking aspect of the vacation. As many of you know, along with my special favorite categories, I like to fill up that waymarking grid, and so there's a certain desperation to make sure that I get those location specific categories taken care of. Along with 9 new state historic marker categories, we'll be able to waymark all three highway categories (Lincoln, Rte 66, and Dixie), the Pony Express and Butterfield Stage markers, the "Marry Me" category, and many, many more. I mean, we're talking the possibility of 30 or more new category icons on my grid! As with many of my beloved waymarking pals out there, I tend toward the compulsive side, and so I'm having to put a check on my urge to waymark my way across the middle of the country.


I have created a vacation spreadsheet like you will not believe - a sheet for the schedule, another for lodging, and another for activities. There's the highway geocache sheet and then there's the waymarking spreadsheet with a page for each state we'll be traveling in and the waymarks that I'd like to hit in each of those states. Waymarks for categories that can only be found in a particular state or region are highlighted. I know, it's sad isn't it. Luckily once I get on the road I loosen up and am actually fairly laid back when things don't go according to plan. My way is to plan things as thoroughly as possible, and then kick back and enjoy the surprises that get thrown at us.

We'll be hitting Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, a short 1/2 day in Indiana, and Nebraska. As you've just read, our time is a little over scheduled :) but if any of you lie along our path we'd love to meet you - and to have you sign our waymarking sticker seeker book. It would be nice to finally have someone log a visit to our sticker seeker waymark! (and vice versa.)

So - 23 days and counting until we embark on this summer's adventure! We should have internet access at least every other day, so we'll try to post to the blog about our adventures as we go.

Oh - by the way, the picture above is of the Gemini Giant in Illinois - one of the coolest muffler men ever. I have shamelessly snagged the photo from waymarkers Special Ed and FallenFaery who have waymarked him in the roadside attraction and rte. 66 categories (pssst - the muffler man waymark is still there for the taking.)

Happy waymarking!

No comments: