Thursday, May 3, 2007

Global vs. Region Specific Categories

Much arguing goes on over whether or not a category is "global" or not, meaning that waymarks for the category can be found on any part of the globe. It is one of the judging criteria when voting whether or not a proposed category should be added to the category list. Some folks are adament that only global categories be permitted, however, that seems to go beyond what Groundspeak envisioned when they formed that criteria.

I bring this up because I'm an officer in the managing group of waymarking's newest category, American Guides. During the great depression of the 1930's President Franklin D. Roosevelt created a work program called the Works Progress Administration and that group, along with creating many jobs building roads, lodges, and dams, also employed out-of-work writers to write the American Guide Series, guide books featuring driving tours of the United States. The goal was to create tourism markets. Over 100 of these guidebooks were created (over 300 books total if you include the oral history projects), written by some of the best 20th-century writers, such as Saul Bellows, Studs Terkel and John Cheever. The category asks waymarkers to find a site that is featured in one of the guide books and then to waymark the site, including the excerpt from the book in the waymark description.

When the votes came back there were several complaints about the category being "too American", or not global enough. My belief is that the global criteria should not discourage historically significant categories because they are limited to one country or region. I recently supported the "London Coal Tax Post" category. I've also voted yes on categories such as the categories approved earlier this year - "Maori Historic Sites" and "New Zealand Historic Site". The fact is that most of the folks waymarking are located in the United States and so it makes sense that many categories that are proposed focus on areas or topics that are concerned with local regions. As the hobby grows on other continents, I'm sure there will be many categories that are focused on those waymarkers' home countries. That's great! I look forward to learning more world history, and other lessons about this planet we share.

I agree that globalism in topics is important, and if there's a way to make a category global, then by all means do it. But look beyond the "global" criteria when you vote. Let's not lose historically important categories because of too much rigidity.

The above photo is of the Timberline Lodge, which was mentioned in the American Guide, "Mount Hood: A Guide", published in 1940. The lodge sits high on the southern flank of Mount Hood in Oregon State, and was built by WPA workers in 1937.

5 comments:

Daniel said...

I personally have no problem with country specific categories as long as they're interesting. I feel too many US franchised stores have categories and are of no interest to anyone outside the States.

I'm busy working on an African specific category, that I will try get some South African Geocachers to officer with me. Hopefully it will bring some exposure to the continent and maybe interest some Geocachers, around here, enough to try Waymarking.

Thanks Hikenutty for another interesting article.

Hikenutty said...

Well, I completely agree with you on the US franchised stores, although, many of those are global categories (McDonalds and Walmarts now litter the entire earth.)

I'm glad to hear you are working on an African category (even if that does mean another row that I won't be able to get a bingo in. I was SO hoping this would be my row. :) I look forward to learning more about Africa and the histories of its countries.

Oh, and I'll have to check out your waymarking blog!

Daniel said...

Yes, even we have McDonald's around here. I waymarked the first ever McDonalds in the country before adding it to my ignore list ;) No Walmart though.

The African category will still be a while as I want to get a few more SA geocachers to try waymarking before creating it. There's no point in the category if I'm the only one posting to it. So you may still get your row. I'm still brainstorming a few ideas, maybe wildlife tour operators, or something along those lines.

Hopefully it will not be exclusively African, but have the African flavour.

Anonymous said...

Hear, Hear,

I think as long as there is at least a regional interest that the category is viable. I feel that some categories are so global as to leave out interesting locations that should have a waymark category all their own. I must also agree with teamtgf about the franchised stores. I am not opposed to the categories but find them tiresome and think they dilute the entire site in quality. I must admit I also will waymark an example before I put a specific cat. on ignore. As I've said elsewhere.

The American Guide Series is among my new favorites as far as categories.....now if I can just get my hands on a copy or two.

Thanks hikenutty for the great blog.

Hikenutty said...

TheBeanTeam said - "I must admit I also will waymark an example before I put a specific cat. on ignore."

Oh, me too. I'm such a hypocrit. I rail against the chain stores, but I just can't stand leaving the little box in the grid empty, so I shamefully waymark a place quick, and THEN give it the thumbs down. :)

I hope you're able to get a copy of one of the Oregon Guides soon. It's so interesting to read a guide with a social perspective from 65 years ago. Sometimes it can be pretty funny.