Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mom's Day Waymarking

Seattle Cloud Cover For Mother's Day this year I asked for a morning in Seattle at the Olympic Sculpture Park and then a quick stop at the Seattle Public Library to visit Rose Red's waymark there.

What a glorious day of waymarking. Troy and Hunter actually enjoyed the sculpture park (I was a bit worried) and we spent over an hour wandering the park from top to bottom. The only disappointment was missing the pavilion, because it didn't open until 11 a.m. Oh well, that leaves a few sculptures for someone else to waymark.

It's a magical place. Truly amazing and photographs can't do it justice. One of the greatest accomplishments of the designers is the vistas and perspectives that are created as the park steps down the hillside to the waterfront. Sculptures can be enjoyed up close, from a distance with the water as a backdrop or on the other side, from a distance with the city as a backdrop. The photo at left is a close-up of "Seattle Cloud Cover" looking through the piece to the Space Needle and city beyond.

Troy's favorite was the sculpture "Love & Loss". It's much more interesting in person than can be displayed in a photo. The piece uses 2 benches, a table and chairs, a reflecting pool, and a tree to form the words "love" and "loss" with both words intersecting at the letter "o", which is a reflecting pool. Spinning above the words is a red, neon ampersand.

Other stops included Henry Moore's, "Vertebrae" and the Rem Koolhaas building for the Seattle Public Library.

Above you see the neon ampersand from "Love & Loss", and Calder's "Eagle" framing the Space Needle.

Above is Richard Serra's "Wake" and Henry Moore's "Vertebrae".

So even though I spent Saturday tearing my hair out while writing code for a Website, Sunday was a beautiful day full of world class art and REALLY good coffee and muffins at Macrina's. (I can't believe there isn't an independent bakery category yet. Someone needs to get on that so I have an excuse to go back to Macrina's for another orange-hazelnut twist and some of their delicious coffee.)

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Looks like you had a fantastic day at the Sculpture park and thanks for including the pictures in the Flickr group, the group seems to be getting a little slow lately.

Funny you mention the Independent bakeries, I was just thinking about that category this morning.

Cheers
TeamTGF

Hikenutty said...

Oh, man, PLEASE, create a bakery category! I'll gladly be an officer and if you want you can just use a modified version of my "Independent Breakfast Spots" category to save time writing it up. We just went to an incredible European bakery near the Washington State capitol that I should have waymarked, and of course "Macrina's" which I mentioned in the post. These are fun spots to find and to recommend. Can you tell that I'm a carbjunkie. Just thinking of these spots, makes me think that I need to get out and get some exercise. :)

Daniel said...

I'll take a look at your breakfast spots category and try make something up for Independent Bakeries.

I'll get back to you.