Monday, May 26, 2008

To Visit or Not to Visit: That is the question


So, as usual things have been crazy busy thanks to work, two new foster puppies and my son's music lessons and concerts. I try to chip away at my waymarking backlog by attempting to find time to post 3-5 waymarks each day and typically, as the approvals come in, I log visits to the marks. There are mixed views on logging visits to your own marks, and different reasons to do so. Back when I started waymarking, I would log visits to everything and then do simple substraction of my total waymarks posted from total waymarks visited to figure out how many visits that I had posted to other folks' waymarks. Why I felt the need to know this at that time is beyond me. Other waymarkers who I looked to for mentoring did it and so I decided I should too.

Now though, with the awesome filtering functionality that the Website has, this visiting doesn't seem necessary any longer and it is growing increasingly cumbersome for me to get around to. I usually let the approvals sit in my E-mail inbox for several days, until there are so many that it becomes overwhelming. Why? It seems pointless. Can anyone think of another reason that I should keep this up? It's a total pain in the butt and now seems like a waste of time.

Although it's fun to reach milestones in total waymarks, I don't really care about the numbers and rarely could give you a guess within about 150 waymarks or so as to how many I've posted. The only reason I'm watching numbers at this point is that I want to see which waymark will be number 2000. Geocachers who are just starting out often will assume that the self-visits are all about pumping the numbers and that always pisses me off because they are looking at waymarking from the "I have more icons than you do" perspective that is oh so common over in geo-land. I mean, most hardcore waymarkers could care less about their visit numbers. They are focused on their "posted" count if they are into numbers.
The photo above is from the gallery of one of my recently posted waymarks that is in my backlog of waymarks needing "self-visits" posted, Coupeville Wharf and Warehous, Central Whidbey Island Historic District. It would be cool if the Waymarking site put the check mark next to the waymarks that you yourself posted instead of having to visit to see the check. It helps when you are doing searches to see those checks and quickly know which waymarks are yours.

4 comments:

0ccam said...

I log visits to most of mine because I visited. A few exceptions exist, like stores or restaurants that I waymarked without actually going in. Yeah, I know, I don't HAVE to go in to log the visit (unless that cat says so). But to me, it's not a visit if I didn't go in (unless it was closed, then it's not my fault).

See? Rules. ;)

Hikenutty said...

Yep, that's the way I look at it - if you posted, unless you are a lame armchair waymarker, you visited it. Now I guess I'll just log my visit to my own mark when I have something extra to say or something subjective to add.

Anonymous said...

Visiting one's own waymark is something I'll do once in a while when I have caught up on posting our waymarks.

On the other hand posting visits to others' waymarks for the most part to me is like being the second man on the moon.

Too Late Haha

They have to be something really incredible to garner a visit. Around these parts, it's usually prefaced with a "Curse you s5820ft!"

Boy he gets around...

Hikenutty said...

I tend to post visits to places that I have something to add to with my visit - either some favorite photos I took or comments to let someone else know how great it is. I agree about the "Curse you..." part. For me it tends to be U.S.Globetrotters that I curse. Her son is based out of Fort Lewis so she comes out here on occasion and steals good ones. ;) I can't really whine though because I have pretty much "waywashed" the city of Tacoma, not leaving much to waymark unless it's a commercial waymark. (Grrr... Hate. Chain. Waymarking.)