Monday, May 12, 2008

Digging out of a backlog

My backlog is tiny in comparison to some that are out there. Personally, I try to keep up so that my backlog is never more than 25 or so waymarks. Of course, I said TRY. Sometimes you visit a place that is so spectacular that you come home after the weekend with about 75 waymarks and no time to post them. Such was our incredible weekend in Ebey's Landing National Historic Reserve on Whidbey Island.

I've managed to post almost 30 waymarks from the reserve, our incredible, inaugural camping trip of the season, but still have over half of the marks to post and don't know when I'll manage to finish them all. In the meantime, the grid continues to grow like some out of control monster and I don't know when I'll have time to check out the new categories.

In fact, my grid mania is starting to fade. Not completely - I can't avoid a compulsion that well - but there is less of an urge to run out and find a Disney or Lego store just to get a box on the grid filled. I mean, who really wants to be hiding from a mall security guard, trying to take photos for some business/commerce waymark when they could be waymarking a piece of sculpture, a scenic hike, a park, a neon sign or a historic building? Not me, that's for sure. So I'm not saying I will stop waymarking the commerce categories, but I'm no longer going to make the effort to fill those boxes. If I happen to be at a mall (a rare occurence) I'll take my camera and GPS in with me, but until then I won't worry about it. Life's too short.

For now I'm going to continue to plug away at that backlog and ignore the new categories. Team Min Dawg will be visiting this coming weekend and I need a clean slate for all of the waymarks that we will be finding when we visit Seattle and also hike up to the Ape Cache on Snoqualmie Pass. The weather is supposed to jump 15-20 degrees on Thursday and hit the mid 80's. Let the waymarking season begin.

So here are a few photos of our camping trip on Whidbey Island. The photo above was taken from Ebey's Landing and shows Admiralty Inlet and the beach of Ebey's Landing to the left and the bluffs and Ebey's Prairie to the right.



This is a view out to Admiralty Inlet and the islands beyond from the historic Coupeville Wharf. I highly recommend the cafe and gift shop at the end of the wharf featuring products of Whidbey Island artisans.






Fort Casey was one of three forts designated as the "triangle of fire" and charged with defending the entrance to Puget Sound. It is now a state park and all of its old batteries can be explored. Great spot for flying kites. Also, be sure to visit the historic Admiralty Head Lighthouse, near the battery area. The top photo shows several of the immense batteries, the inlet, and the Olympic Mountains in the distance. The bottom photo shows our waydog, Frodo, peering anxiously from Battery William Worth's watchtower.




And finally, a shot of the Olympic Mountains, Admiralty Inlet, and the paragliding field at Fort Ebey State Park from battery 248. Fort Ebey was built specifically for defense of the Puget Sound during WWII when there was worry over the threat of Japanese submarines entering the Puget Sound to destroy the Bremerton Naval Shipyard. The views from the park's bluff trail are incredible and I highly recommend their campground over the campground at Fort Casey, especially for tent campers. Make reservations though, because the island campgrounds book up fast.

Happy waymarking!

1 comment:

Bruce said...

We are opposites when it comes to backlogs. You think you have a huge backlog at 75 and I start getting "nervous" when I get down to 75. :-) Hey, I might run out of waymarks to enter.

I do have to clear my backlog some, I plan on venturing into the section of St. Louis have haven't done the NRHP's and get the 40 or so NRHP individual sites in that area.

As far as commercial categories, you know where I stand on them. I usually just group a bunch together and pick a rainy day when I am tired of entering waymarks and can't do much else. Lately there have been plenty of rainy days.