Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Take your time when creating a category!

I know that most of you who read my blog have a lot of experience under your belt when it comes to creating a new category. This post is to urge you to positively mentor new waymarkers who might be a little over excited to see their first category on the grid.

Recently I've noticed some categories coming through peer review that would make wonderful categories, but I still feel I have to vote no on them because either the description is too vague or the requirements are odd or even non-existent. I try to leave a lot of kind feedback about how I think it's a great idea, but "here are some changes you might want to make and then try sending it through peer review again."

When you first get into waymarking it can be a blast and many people want to fully throw themselves into the hobby! That's great!! Let's welcome them with open arms AND a little kind advice when they stumble because they've tried to run before they can walk, so to say. The longer a person waymarks, the more familiar they become with the typical posting requirements, how a category is structured, and how broad or narrow a range of category can be.

Kudos to the seasoned waymarks who I see joining groups just to help out a new person who isn't sure about how to go about creating a category. Sometimes its a topic they aren't even interested in, but they give of their time anyhow, and it makes a big difference in the quality of the categories. I had this kind of help when I created my first category, Abstract Public Sculptures, and now that I've been around awhile I can pass on what I was taught by elder, waymarking sages. :) And now I'm seeing people that I've helped go on to help other beginners. To me that is the true spirit of the waymarking community. Sure, you get some asses, but they are everywhere. Concentrate on the positive and you will find it everywhere!

No comments: