Monday, December 31, 2007

The bad side of being addicted to the grid

Some people specialize in one category, and others have a goal of filling in their category grid. We are a little of both, specializing in several architecture, history and of course, neon categories, but still working to fill in that grid.

I have found that as a gridder I end up doing what I call the "grid run." A grid run is when you are out on a specific trip that's only purpose is to pick up new categories to check them off of your list. This is not usually the fun and interesting type of waymarking you do on vacation, or when you are waymarking in your favorite categories. Sadly, it is the compulsive type of waymarking that is done not for interest in the category, or wanting other people to find a cool spot that you have happened upon, but for the sole purpose of seeing a tiny 1/4" icon fill in a hole on your grid. I consider it a lower form of waymarking, however I am more guilty of it than most so don't think I'm judging you for your compulsive need to fill up the grid. :)

My husband is home from work the week between Christmas and New Year's Day so we ended up doing a grid run one morning when we had nothing else to do. These were the stops - Jack-in-the-Box, the local hospital, a wastewater treatment plant, a closed drive-in that was replaced with a Lowes Home Improvement Center, and an independent movie rental shop (ended up that it had gone out of business.) Now I'm not passing judgement on these categories (other than maybe the Jack in the Box one) but a trip like this is the waymarking equivalent of washing dishes - it's boring as hell, but it has to be done. Well, it has to be done if you are compulsive about filling up your grid.
So is there anyone else out there who does the occasional "grid run"? Have you found a way to make it a bit more interesting? If you have let me know how!!!!

3 comments:

Bruce said...

I know the feeling about grid runs. I have done a couple of them, I have able to knock out a few when out of town for work and had time to kill. I do have one more to do soon, fortunately this one I will be able to break up with a few historic buildings that are contributing.

Hikenutty said...

I think that's the best way to do it - combine it with some interesting historic buildings to break things up. However, the town that I live in has no historic buildings, unfortunately. It was a suburb that only incorporated in 1993. I can't complain though, because Tacoma is only a 15 minute drive and they have more historic buildings than I could ever hope to waymark.

Anonymous said...

You want to make a "Grid run" interesting? Drive around backwards, other than that, like you said, it's a chore...