Tuesday, April 22, 2008

New Categories

I have to say I'm a bit shocked. Usually when I go to the category review page and see over 4 different categories to vote on almost every one of them is by a new waymarker that has gotten overly excited and doesn't quite understand what creating a category entails.

I feel a bit bad for them, but often, it's "nea" down the list of them with pretty much the same explanation: "You need to take more time writing up the category. The long description is an important part of the category, because it helps people understand what is being looked for - it can't be skipped. Also, you need to think through some posting requirements so, again, people know what you are looking for - we can't read minds." Yada yada yada....

Today when I opened the voting page and saw 5 categories that I needed to vote on I thought, "oh man - not again!" Boy was I surprised as I read the categories and they all seemed to be well thought out and written. The "Water Parks" category needed a bit of work, but it still worked. At first I thought the "Historic Houses" would deserve a no vote for being too broad, but as I read through their detailed description I better understood the category. Although I think a better name would be "Historic Houses: Pre-Victorian" so they don't get a bunch of Victorian houses submitted by folks that don't stop to read the category description and requirements before they post.

It felt good to be able to vote yes for a change.

No comments: