Thursday, April 10, 2008

Category Dictatorships

It has always been a pet peeve of mine when category creators view a category as something "owned" by them. These category dictators see group officers as people to share the work load, but nothing else. In their opinion, they thought up the initial idea and could care less what anyone else's opinion is. I don't see it that way. They are leaders, not owners, and by refusing to listen to officer's suggestions they limit the category.

Close-mindedness leads to categories that become stagnant. If there needs to be some tweaking of the category it helps to have open communication, as I talked about in my last post. Without this communication and tweaking to waymarkers become frustrated and don't continue to submit to the category. Unless I am extremely interested in a subject I won't submit more than one waymark to a category that is unclear as to what type of waymarks they're looking for, or to a category where the officers are rude when they make comments. There are plenty of other categories out there to take up my time. I kick it to my ignore list and move on.

Another issue I have come across as an officer is when leaders go through and re-evaluate waymarks that have already been approved. Nothing is more irritating as a waymarker than to have a waymark approved and then denied. If an officer is regularly approving things that the leader doesn't think fit, then the leader isn't doing their job very well. It indicates that either the category needs to have a few changes or the group needs to sit back and discuss reviewing practices and what is and isn't acceptable. Just re-evaluating an officer's approved waymarks and not politely discussing the problems is micro-managing. It treats the symptoms and not the main issue.

I'm not saying that the leader's vision for the category means nothing, I'm saying it doesn't mean everything. We all share the Waymarking Website and a single person cannot own one section of it. A category is created to share places with the world and a leader is only the category's guide, not its god.

This has been your latest installment of Janell's Pet Peeves. For more, just ask me about chain store categories. (kidding :) The photo above really has nothing to do with this post. The Victorian triplex is posted in the "NRHP - Contributing Buildings" category which is led by a person I've found to be a great collaborative leader, JimmyEv. So I guess that it has a tiny bit of context.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing based on your comments here and in the waymarking forums that you and I experienced the same thing. Yes, I was quite peeved about the reevaluation too, and still am. Had I known then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have voted in favor of that category. I'm still not quite sure what they are looking for, so I guess I won't be submitting (or resubmitting) anything to that category.

Anonymous said...

Believe me, I know exactly what you mean. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, either. I dropped out of it. Nothing personal against those who founded the category... but I can't see staying with a category that I don't agree with. I doubt I'll be submitting anything to that cat -- there's nothing around here called that. :-(

Mr. 0 said...

I haven't been involved with that group, but given the comments in the forums, I doubt that I'll be posting anything there. I know of a place that would fit in there, however I don't know anything about their history or anything. They don't have a website that I've been able to find, and I don't know anyone who belongs. The only thing I could give them is the name of the place and the address, which doesn't seem would be acceptable. I was going to go up to mark it tomorrow, but I just don't think it's going to be worth my time.

Hikenutty said...

The "Women's Club" category was what spurred this post, however, I've run into the same problem in the past with other categories. Mostly, people are so rigid and so sure that the category is perfect that they can't even discuss things.

I will likely post one waymark in the category and then kick it to my ignore list. I sure hope 0ccam reviews it because after the note I got in my "polite" denial, I hate to say what would be said now.

Mostly what has annoyed me is that she has accused me of debating the issue just so I can have my waymark approved. That has nothing to do with it. I'm extremely irritated with the accusatory tone that has been used in the forums when folks are just trying to have a simple debate.

Oh, and thanks S5280ft, for jumping in and pointing out that my comments were being misunderstood.

Unknown said...

Oh so it's a she, huh? Well she needs to put her big girl panties on and deal with it! I just came across the thread you refer to and put my two cents in. I tried to do so in my politest manner, but she'll probably flip when she reads it. Too "F'n" bad. I too was real proud of what S5280ft had to say. On a related bent, has anyone noticed some groups seem to be made up of one waymarker actively seeking thing and two others who are simply place holders with very close start dates no or hardly any wm's and can go long periods of time w/o logging in and finally when "they" do it's allways the same day? Take a moment look through the newest groups (some old ones too for that matter) you'll see what I mean. The thing that's bugging me is it seems as though these non-practicing waymarkers are possibly 2nd 3rd accounts for the group leader. Great way to get around group management, but you're talking $90 a year, to be a tin hitler (sorry nate, hate to mention hitler)

Check out some of the new groups to start with and see if you might think I might be on to something. Or email me and I'll point you to specific groups and then you tell me.

Anonymous said...

Sorry hikenutty, I haven't checked out your blog for a while, I've been too busy in the forums ;-)

Seriously though, I wasn't being chivalrous (I know you can defend yourself) I was just trying to point out that there was a misunderstanding about the category. Including me. I have tried to be gentle and compromising in my comments and questions, but every response from Haunthunter has been accusatory and sometimes attacking.

I have several Michigan historical markers that would fit the category, but since she's ticked off about every Michigan waymarker, those won't get added real soon. So here's your chance mr. 0 :-o

Once I calm down, I will probably do the one for the icon and be done.

Hikenutty said...

Yeah, I actually waymarked one yesterday that I will post next week sometime and then switch it to my ignore list. What can I say? I'm a whore for icons. ;)