Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Neon of Tacoma

I was looking at a discussion post in a Flickr.com Tacoma group and noticed that the Ed Murietta article on Tacoma restaurant neon has been published. Very cool article, especially how they attribute the whole Waymarking Website to me (Sorry, Groundspeak. He misunderstood the difference between the Wayward Waymarking and Waymarking Websites.)

The author interviewed the restaurant owners about their signs, and also some local neon artists and put together a very interesting article. It was very cool to learn some background about the signs, and the different owners' dedication to their vintage neon extravaganzas. So, I thought I'd give you a little photographic sampler of some of my favorite neon in the Tacoma/South Sound area.



The Poodle Dog Restaurant - day and night




The Frisko Freeze Drive-In near downtown Tacoma on 6th Avenue, and the Golden City Cafe in South Tacoma




The Lucky Silver Tavern in South Tacoma and the Pick-Quick Drive-In in Fife (burgers and shakes to die for!)



The Flying Boots Cafe in South Tacoma




The Daffodil Motel north of Tacoma in Milton - day and night

There are many more beauties here, and don't even get me started on Seattle signs, but I've got to get back to work. Happy waymarking, everyone!

No comments: