Monday, March 24, 2008

Bingo!

Assuming that my weather station waymark that I just submitted yesterday is approved, I finally got around to finishing off my 2nd bingo on the waymarking grid. Since weather stations aren't especially exciting, I thought I'd post some photos of favorite waymarks from this row of the grid.


Oregon Trail - Independence Rock in the "Wagon Roads and Trails" category - Many emmigrants left home in the spring, hoping to make it to Independence Rock by July 4th, hence the rock's name. Names of the many travellers are inscribed on the rock.


Left - Pick-Quick Drive In - Fife, WA in "Independent Diners"; I highly recommend a stop here if you're in the area. It's extremely popular, so you may wait awhile, but if you love drive-in food (burgers, onion rings, hand-scooped milkshakes in about 40 flavors) you'll love Pick Quick.
Right - Sears Tower in "Engineering Landmarks"; From 1974 to 1996 the building remained the tallest in the world at 1,730 feet.


Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center - Mt. Rainier National Park in "Googie Architecture"; I have several favorites waymarked here and although the Space Needle is a googie icon, I went with my favorite, the soon to be demolished Jackson Visitor Center in the Paradise area of Mt. Rainier NP.


Art of Chicago in the "Waytours" category; my favorite part of visiting Chicago was the art. Everywhere you turn there seems to be another world class sculputure - Chagall, Picasso, Calder, Moore, Miro - they're just sitting there amidst the skyscrapers waiting for you to find them.



Corina Bakery in "Independent Bakeries"; This little family owned bakery is somewhat hidden with a side entrance in the Merlino Art Center, but don't make the mistake of missing it if you like cake. I love the lemon coconut layer cake and a cup of french-pressed coffee, my husband is nuts for the Red Velvet cake, mother-in-law loves the hummingbird cake and my son is a fan of their super huge lemon bars. Don't miss it! News Tribune Review


So there are some of my favorites from grid row "27". There were some Engineering Landmarks, Googie Architecture, and Waytours that I REALLY wanted to include, but that would have made this long post even longer, so if you have the time check out my waymarks in those categoriers. There are some fun ones. Happy waymarking!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Again! I saw a Tacoma weather station approved today, so now it's official: a 2 bingo waymarker. You're right though, it is more fun to see the others in the row. Makes for an interesting cross section of categories.

Hikenutty said...

thanks, s5280ft! I was getting a little worried that the weather station might not be accepted and I'd have to 'fess up that the Bingo never happened. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, dodged a bullet on that one.
Dang, and we still aint got one bingo yet! Course someday we'll be biting that bullet you just dodged and get some of the crap, er um, I mean chain categories out of the way, That's right I said Out of the way.
I'm kidding! I love chains. I'm yanking somebody's now...

Bruce said...

Congrats. Some day maybe I will get a bingo. Been keeping too busy in my favorite categories to get out and fill holes in the grid I guess.

Hikenutty said...

With as many categories as you have waymarked it seems impossible that you don't have one. Maybe that's your goal - "let's see how many categories I can waymark without bingoing" :) You've got to be really close on quite a few.

I had this row down to just "weather stations" for months, knowing that there's a weather station about 1 1/2 miles from my house. I guess I'm more interested in getting new categories and waymarking in my favorite categories than getting a bingo. They are a happy extra.