Sunday, February 3, 2008

Waymarking injury

Yesterday morning we were killing time in Tacoma while my son was at orchestra rehearsal so we wandered over to the Stadium-Seminary National Historic District to waymark some of the contributing buildings within the district. This primarily residential district has over 175 contributing structures, so there's plenty there to photograph. I figured we'd waymark all of the "primary" and "pivotal" contributors along Yakima Avenue (33), or at least a get a few blocks done before we got too cold and headed over to the coffee shop to warm up.


We made it about 5 of the eight blocks when my feet went out from under me and I found myself skidding down the sidewalk on my side. There was ice over the top of a mossy spot on the sidewalk and that combined with the slope just took me down. Had I been paying attention to where I was going rather than gawking at all of the beautiful old Victorian architecture I probably would have seen the slick spot. Luckily my camera and gps were fine and other than a nasty scrape along the heel of my hand nothing was injured but my pride.

Troy, who was listening to NPR in the car while I walked down the block to photograph a particularly interesting turreted house, was disappointed to have missed the fall because he couldn't make fun of me.

The photo above is of the Charles Tucker Residence, a quaint Victorian on N. Yakima Avenue built in 1890. I haven't got around to waymarking it yet, but when I do it will be in the "NRHP Contributing Buildings" category.

6 comments:

0ccam said...

Ouch!

Glad you're not really hurt, but I bet something is sensitive in the morning.

I have yet to hurt myself while waymarking. Or geocaching, for that matter. Other than scratches.

Hikenutty said...

Yeah, nothing bad. The worst injuries we sustained waymarking was a run in with poison oak. I had a little bit on my arm, but Troy was covered and had a really bad reaction. It was so gross - like there were these big slugs under his skin. The worst part is the cache ended up being lost!! All that pain for nothing.

Hikenutty said...

Whoops! I meant the worst injury we had while geocaching.

fishingwishing said...

Check out Yaktrax - they work great! Glad you're ok!

Hikenutty said...

So what is Yaktrax?

Unknown said...

They're like cleets you slip on over your footwear. Are you native to WA? ;P Seriously, glad you're okay.