Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Backlog

I was reading BQ's thread in the Waymarking forums about how much his backlog was overwhelming him and that he finally got to the point where he dumped his backlog waymarks and just started from scratch. Quite drastic. But it reminded me that I had about 15 waymarks in my backlog that I wanted to post to the "NRHP Districts: Contributing buildings" category. I sat down to start in on them and realized that my sheet of paper with all the coordinates and notes written on it are in my camera case, which is currently with my husband in Orlando. He's working at a builder's convention there and wanted to bring my camera to take some photos of the firm's display.

Anyhow - the result is that my good intentions will have to wait until he returns on Friday with my camera. I did post a few of them and saved them to submit later, but I hate not having the reward of completely finishing the waymark if I'm going to spend the time writing the descriptions and uploading photos.
I've really been enjoying the category lately, since I found a site that has online pdf's of the historic district narratives in Washington state. These can be tough to find, and so on Wayward Waymarking I've created a page to list the various states' historic properties databases that include narrative information. Right now we have Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin and Washington links listed (thanks BruceS) but would love to have any links that you might have found when posting in this category.
The photo above is of a the Ralph Metcalf house, a colonial revival style residence that is considered to be a "pivotal" contributor to the Stadium-Seminary National Historic District. The district is a historically intact residential area within Tacoma that was popular from the 1890's to the 1920's. It has wonderful examples of nearly every residential style current in the Pacific Northwest between 1888 and 1930. Also located within it are the public Stadium High School and the private Annie Wright School (previously "Seminary" - it's a boarding school for girls) for which the district is named. To learn about the district and see more photos check out my Stadium-Seminary National Historic District waymark in the NRHP category.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ohio Historical Society has database of NRHP sites in Ohio:http://ohsweb.ohiohistory.org/ohpo/nr/index.aspx

They also have a search tool to see if a specific address is in a NRHP Historic District:
http://www.ohiohistory.org/resource/histpres/GIS.html

0ccam said...

As far as I can tell, everything for Texas is handled out of the Texas Historical Commission Atlas.

TxHMs, NRHP properties and districts, sawmills, cemeteries.

It's located here:
http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/index.asp

If I find something else, I'll let you know.

0ccam said...

Another from me:

Wikipedia's Contributing Buildings entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contributing_property

The "sad" thing about all this is that I had a big paw in the creation of this category, and I'm an officer in the NRHP Geeks group, but I've yet to post a waymark there.

0ccam said...

Last one for this post, even if I find more info.

More wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heritage_registers

At some point we might want to edit wikipedia to include the info you're gathering...

Hikenutty said...

Thanks for the links, guys! I will be working on page updates next week and add some of this info.

Hikenutty said...

Ohio and Texas have very easy, intuitive databases with a ton of info - and they have it typed up! Washington links to a narrative, that is a pdf of a photo of the actual form, so you have to retype out any sections you want to cite in the waymark's description. I wish they'd take a look at some of the other sites that states have put together and fix theirs!