Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Managing Visits

I remember when I first started waymarking everyone was bitching that they didn't get any visits logged on their waymarks. Now I have times when my mailbox is completely flooded with visits. I suppose a lot of this is because I used to cross-post in every category that a spot would fit in. Now, in a less compulsive phase of my waymarking career, I stick to crossposting in just my very favorite categories. However, my past has caught up with me and I have several popular tourist spots that are stacked a mile high with waymarks and I regularly get people who post a log to every single one of them. Do any of you have these spots?

For me it is typically the Seattle Center and its famous Space Needle that cause my inbox to overflow. I think I have nearly 50 waymarks in the Seattle Center complex and there are likely over 50 more that others have waymarked. Anyone who is a tourist in Seattle stops to either visit or at least gaze up at the Needle so over the summer especially I will look to see 10 or so "'Space Needle - Seattle, WA' has been Visited" subject headings waiting there to be read. My waymarks in the Black Hills of South Dakota, Washington's Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier National Park are other favorites with visitors, as well as my Chicago and more recently, my Washington, D.C. waymarks.

Now I'll admit something I'm not especially proud of. I don't read all of my visit E-mails. I mean, I try to read at least a few, but I don't have time for them all. I've posted almost 2,200 waymarks now and visit logs have almost gotten to the point of being a problem for me. What is going to happen when I reach 5,000? 10,000? So how do you guys manage the visits your waymarks receive? Is anyone else dealing with this? Has it caused you to slow your cross-posting habit? Just wondering.

2 comments:

Mr. 0 said...

Because of a combination of not having many posted, and this not being much of a touristy area I don't get a lot of visits on my Waymarks. Right now I have a filter setup on my email to send all emails from Waymarking.com to an individual folder. That way everything is grouped together. If I end up in a situation where I'm inundated with visits, then I'll have to figure out a way to further filter the visits into another folder.

Bruce said...

There are days I get inundated with visit emails. If someone visits the Jefferson Expansion National Monument which includes the Arch, the Old Courthouse and the Old Cathedral, I probably have a couple dozen waymarks between them. And if they walk a couple blocks there are probably 50 or more available thus I have had days with several visit. I usually look at a few to see the type of logs the person enters.